What are Explainer Videos?
We all love details! Every customer is always on the lookout for a detailed description of any product or service they intend to purchase. Therefore, it is always a big relief to find a video that gives a detailed explanation of a product or service you heard about online.
Fortunately, the websites of most companies are replete with information about their products. Therefore, one of the most effective ways of conveying these products’ information is through an explainer video. Now, you may be wondering: what is an explainer video?
What is an Explainer Video?
By definition, explainer videos are those short videos that you would often find at the landing page, a website’s home page, an existing prominent product page, or on social media.These videos are designed specifically for marketing purposes.
They highlight the essential features of a company’s product or service in a not overly compelling but informative and effective way. Some even use these videos for advertising for their product or service on Facebook or other social media websites. A good explainer video should cover the following:
1. Quick overview of your product and what it does
2. Introduce the problem
3. Answer the problem with your solution (i.e. product or service)
4. Call to action (e.g. sign up for our free trial by clicking here!)
5. Broadcast your trust signals (for example, popular clients, awards, accreditations, write-ups, etc.
Features of a good explainer video:
- Ninety seconds or less: Keeping it short is essential not to bore the viewers or carry their interest away from the product or service.
- The first 30 seconds of the video should include the solution to be offered. Unfortunately, not everyone is patient enough to watch the entire video completely.
- Always describe the product or service from a second person’s perspective
- Simplified language and words for easy understanding and relation
- Keep in mind the tone you want for your explainer video
- Try a touch of humor – videos with some subtle laughs are more enjoyable.
How are explainer videos made?
A lot of focus, planning, and effort is expected to have a measurable outcome. An explainer video is made through the following process:
- Prepare a video script
The script is fundamental in content production. An explainer video can have excellent graphics and exciting voiceovers, but it wouldn’t mean a thing without having a solid script that’s being followed.
Therefore, paramount importance and planning are to be done on the script. You should your explainer video script in person or hire an individual that can perfectly capture the idea and represent the company’s product or service well.
It’s essential to capture the target customer’s concerns and pain points better than any other thing, addressing all the target customers’ concerns in the video, e.g., what scares the potential customers? What parts of the product/service confuse them?
- Record the voiceovers
Once you have a script, you’ll need a voiceover. Is important to have a great voice actor to pass across the message you want to show to your audience.
- Explainer video production
It is always good to hire professionals in explainer videos. Some very talented professional video production companies out there can help you make a killer promotional video. With the benefit that you’ll have video experts supporting you every step of the way, and your video will be guaranteed to turn out great.
Benefits of using explainer videos
- It increases conversions.
- It improves SEO search rankings with video content
- It keeps viewers on your page for two times longer than before
- They are easy to share on social media platforms
- Repurposing for various needs – an explainer video can be repurposed for an investor pitch, an email signature, among other uses
Types of explainer videos
Live-Action Explainer Videos: These are non-animated promotional videos explaining your business’s product or service. Examples of these videos include the Dollar Shave Club and PooPourri videos.
Live streams on Social Media: These are pretty much the same as live-action videos but without the ability to edit. This can portray raw footage mistakes and all, but then could be interpreted as having nothing to hide and humanize your brand.
Here’s how to go live on YouTube, Facebook, and Instagram. You have the option to save your videos to your account after the video is complete.
Animated Explainer Videos: This is the most popular type of explainer video; animation is often the preferred format for explaining services or intangible tech products like software.
Whiteboard Explainer Videos: A whiteboard video is an explainer video in which animation is hand-drawn and erased on a whiteboard. This video format has become popular due to its ease of operation and low cost, making it one of the cheapest types of explainer videos to create.